One of my most commonly asked questions over the past year has been, “how do you curl your hair?!” and the main reason I haven’t posted about it yet is because I was working on a KILLER DEAL for you guys on my absolute favorite hair wand of all time HERE. It is normally $120 and…wait for it…I got you a deal for 40% off!!!! They gave me 10% off at first and I didn’t think that was good enough for you guys. So I waited. And I emailed. And then I emailed someone else. I mean, you deserve gold! It’s this is solid GOLD, baby. Use this link and use code JENICA40 at checkout for 40% off. Get the 32MM curling wand (either gold or rose gold) and your life will be changed.
I started using this curling wand a year ago and then tried to use my other curling iron the other day to see how they compared and it didn’t even remotely compare AT ALL. And this was a nice curling iron that I had loved prior to buying this hair wand! Like, I bought it at a professional beauty salon and it was really high quality but nothing, nothing NOTHING I have ever used compares to this curling wand.
Before the how to curl your hair tutorial, let’s make one thing clear:
- This hair tutorial is FAST. It may take you longer the first couple of times, but when you have it down, it is really, really quick. I want my hair to look great because when I look good, I feel good and then I can do good (my friend Courtney’s company motto that I love!), BUT I don’t have a lot of time. I did my hair on my Vegas girl’s trip and my friends were like, “wait, what?! You hair is done??” Like…I’m faster than a speeding bullet. This wand works quickly so you can look great and get on with your busy day, girl.
Ready? Here goes!
How to Curl your Hair: a Complete Tutorial
The supplies you need to curl your hair:
- Buy this curling wand (the 32mm gold or rose gold version) using code JENICA40 to get 40% off (woooo!!!)
- After you wash your hair, spray Big Sexy Hair Root Pump Plus (this is the best price I found online by at least $6!) at the roots of your hair. I separate my hair and spray 3 strips onto each side of my scalp so that I can rub it in and cover my whole scalp.
- Go to the grocery store (I buy mine at Wal Mart) and get this Tresemme dry shampoo or buy it on Amazon here.
- Buy this hairspray (this is half the price of buying it at Ulta because you get 2!!)
- Comb (this kind is my favorite)
- Brush (I LOVE this one)
1.Before picture. A bit frizzy. I haven’t washed my hair in 3 days. I only wash my hair about every 4-5 days! How?! See step 2 and 3.
2. Blow dry your hair with heat, upside down EVERY DAY regardless of whether you just washed it or not. This helps get out some of the kinks from sleeping on it and adds the body back. Make sure to blow dry your roots really well. Blow dry it for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Dry shampoo is your best friend. Like, best friend. This dry shampoo is my favorite, and is so inexpensive when you get it a grocery store. I also really like the Suave brand. Again, you would never in a million years guess it would would so well, but it does and a lot better than many of the expensive brands I have tried. Spray the dry shampoo around your face at roots, including by your neck. Wait for it to dry then massage it in. Do this even on the day that you wash it! This is one of my secrets to a lot of body because it helps give some texture to your roots!
4. Brush you hair. I love this Wet Brush a lot.
5. Tease your hair with a comb. Start with the back and lift a small amount and push the comb back through your hair towards your head. Spray it with a little bit of hairspray, let it dry, then pick up another section just under the first and do the same. Move the to the sides of your head and do the same thing; two sections on each side of your head.
6. Comb over the top part of the back of your head where you teased it to smooth it, then spritz some hairspray over the top.
7. Separate your hair into two sections, and brush each side then spray your hair with hairspray. This will allow it to hold the curl. Let it dry then brush through it. ONLY DO THIS ON THE FIRST DAY THAT YOU WASHED YOUR HAIR OR HAVE NOT PREVIOUSLY SPRAYED IT WITH HAIRSPRAY! Since I only wash my hair every 4-5 days, when I curl it again on the day 2-5, you don’t need to spray your hair again before you curl it because it already has hairspray.
8. I heat up my curling wand to 430 degrees. Don’t ask me why I started doing it to that temp (you can adjust the temp as you want), but it has worked perfectly for me! Also, BE EXTRA CAREFUL not to burn yourself! This this is HOT!! Grab a piece of your hair in the front, and using your curling wand, curl it back. Hold the curl for a few seconds after it’s done so that the heat doesn’t pull it out.
9. Get another section of hair and curl it in the opposite direction. This helps add a lot of body and texture!
10. Keep curling section by section of hair on one side of your head in the opposite direction, one section after the next.
11. Pull your hair away from your head and spray it with hairspray. Try to angle your head to the side so your hair is falling away from your face, and pull your hair apart while you’re spraying it. This gives it a lot of body!
12. Do the same with the other side of your hair, make sure the teasing is combed down over the top so you can’t see it underneath the first layer of your hair, and spray it with lots of hairspray.
DONE!! Let me know if you have any questions! xo